“Don’t get your tinsel in a tangle.”
Every year I convince myself that this will be the year when I’m on top of the holidays. And then life happens and I find myself once again having a hard time keeping up with work, Freddy (our Elf on a Shelf), fighting with my seven-year-old who refuses to wear snow pants to school (such a struggle every morning!)… let alone checking-off everyone’s wish list, holiday baking, decorating, etc.
But as the above quote states – I gotta let it go.
Being stressed and un-jolly accomplishes nothing and steals the joy we all should be experiencing this time of year. So if you find yourself in a similar state, let’s give ourselves some grace… and remember to take care of ourselves in the process. (Sleep, relax and meal plan in December? Who knew? Ha!) Our new fitness partner, Debbie Martilotta of DBM Strength Training provides some great tips (below) to help us this month.
Wishing you and your loved ones a healthy, stress-free and happy holiday season! Thanks so much for your business!
– Jennifer (& Mark) McNamara, Bliss & Vinegar Owners
HELPFUL HEALTHY TIPS FOR THE HOLIDAYS
By: Debbie Martilotta of DBM Strength Training
1. Don’t skip meals. Whether intentional (thinking you will “save” calories) or because you are too busy, this cycle will lead you to over-indulging, and your body will actually store fat due to not getting enough calories. Eat at least 20 grams of protein (lean meat, fish, eggs) and a vegetable every 2-3 hours throughout the day. This will keep you satisfied and help stop cravings.
2. Plan and prepare your food ahead of time. This will be a life saver for you! By doing this there is no excuse for not eating/not eating the right things because you have your clean, prepped food in hand and ready to go.
3. Stay hydrated! Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. This will keep you full longer.
4. Strength train with me two times per week. This is only 1 hour a week and when you start building muscle you will burn more fat. It’s a win-win!
5. Get 8 hours of sleep per day. You actually can lose weight while you sleep. Your body sheds water weight via sweating, breathing and firing the metabolism (which continues to work at rest). Try to go to bed at the same time each night. This will promote healthy sleep and regulate your circadian rhythm.
6. Minimize alcohol consumption. This is a no brainer.